Free Mechanical Aptitude Test
This free Mechanical aptitude tests measures your knowledge of straightforward physical and mechanical concepts. Your score will depend significantly on your knowledge of:
If you are taking a mechanical aptitude test as part of the selection process for the emergency services or the military then the questions you can expect will tend to concentrate on principles rather than on making calculations. For example, you may be shown several diagrams of a lever and asked which one is the most efficient.
If however, you are taking a test for a technical job then you may be expected to calculate the actual force required to move a particular lever. In this case, knowing the principle is not enough, you need to know the formula.
If you need additional practice of mechanical tests after trying the questions below, we recommend JobTestPrep.
Free Mechanical Aptitude Test Questions
1) How much weight is required to balance the lever?
2) How much weight is required to balance the lever?
3) Approximately how much force is needed to lift the weight?
4) If gear X turns clockwise at a constant speed of 10 rpm. How does gear Y turn?
A) anti c/w 10 rpm
B) c/w 10 rpm
C) c/w 5 rpm
D) anti c/w 5 rpm
E) c/w 20 rpm
5) If drive wheel X rotates clockwise at a speed of 10 rpm. How does wheel Y turn?
A) anti c/w faster
B) c/w slower
C) c/w faster
D) anti c/w slower
E) anti c/w same
6) A force of 5 Kg compresses the springs in series 10cm. What will be the total distance that the springs in parallel are compressed?
A) 10 cms
B) 5 cms
C) 20 cms
D) 7.5 cms
E) 15 cms
7) In the circuit shown, how many switches need to be closed to light up one bulb?
8) Which is the most suitable tool for breaking up concrete?
9) Which tool or combination of tools would be most useful for general woodwork?
A) 4 & 2
B) 3,5 & 7
C) 2 ,4 & 6
D) 4 & 7
E) 3 & 6
10) The sketch shows the floor plan of a bathroom. The shower tray is 2'6" square and is fixed to the floor. The toilet and washbasin are both wall mounted. Allowing for 15% wastage, approximately how many square yards of floor tiles should be ordered?
Many of the questions in mechanical comprehension tests are ‘industry’ specific. For example, tests used by the fire service tend to frame the questions in terms of fire-fighting whereas tests used to select for an aircraft maintenance job would tend to frame the questions in aviation industry terms.
It doesn’t matter if the questions you practice on aren’t specific to the industry you are applying for. It is the substance of the question that is important – the scenario is incidental.
Need further practice? If so, we recommend the mechanical test packages by JobTestPrep.
These sample question papers each contain 40 questions and have a suggested time limit of 30 minutes each. The questions are presented in Letter/A4 format for easy printing and self-marking.
Download Free Mechanical Aptitude Test